As a wedding photography business, you know that capturing a couple’s special day is what you do best. However, unless you rely on referrals to get new potential clients each year, most people will search online for a photographer to capture their wedding day. Local SEO for wedding photographers from TM Blast optimizes your photography website to appear higher in Google and Bing for your services. Also, it shows up in the map pack listings for both search engines. For example, you would want to appear at the top of the results for “wedding photographer” since that is your service.
- Google My Business Listing (Google Business Profile) Optimization
- Bing Places for Business Optimization
- Apple Business Connect
- Getting listed on relevant business directories in your town or city to increase referral traffic. If you are a local business, you will benefit from being featured on these sites, as your target audience will be the ones visiting these websites who live in your area.
- Improving your organic rankings in and around your location for your keywords on your website
- And more!
Wedding Photography SEO Tips – How to Improve Your Google Map Pack Keyword Rankings
In this video, I share what I would do to improve the keyword rankings for a wedding photography business out in San Diego, California.
Local SEO Success Story
Google My Business Listing Optimization
I use Local Falcon, a search engine optimization tool that helps me visualize how a Google Business Profile ranks in the map pack listings for keywords around their location. Below is an image I did as a Free SEO Audit for a wedding photographer out in San Diego, California. The green dots mean top rankings, so you can see where they appear for “wedding photographer” around their location.
Typically, I focus on the Google My Business profile first for wedding photographers because potential clients are looking to call many photographers to get their availability and price as they research. The Google Map Pack listing, especially for mobile users, will display a phone icon for a searcher to call a wedding photography business.
Bing Place for Business
I’m one of the few SEOs that spend time on Bing. I worked at Microsoft Bing as a contractor and am also a Bing user, so my bias is there, which is probably why.
However, whatever I do for a Google My Business page, I do the same for Bing Places for Business via a sync. A sync doesn’t always bring over everything, so there are things I do specifically for a wedding photographer. Some of those things are below.
- Upload new images
- Incorporate their social media icons into the Bing knowledge panel
- Ensure that their keywords are shown in the categories
Apple Business Connect
Apple Business Connect is new to the photography SEO strategy I offer potential clients. I can’t do as much in the platform as I can with Google and Bing, but I still encourage everyone to have a listing. Apple Maps may become a bigger part of the SEO Services for wedding photographers down the road as the platform improves. At a minimum, I will do the following to ensure you are seen on Apple Maps.
- Upload new images
- Add new offers
- Ensure we are linking out to social media platforms
Relevant Local Directories
My clients are the ones who pay for directory listings for a few reasons. First, my contracts are month-to-month, so some directories have a yearly subscription model. With that being the case, my clients are the ones who pay for these listings. Second, the price for these directories will vary, so I can’t include that in my price.
I recommend getting on local directories if you are a wedding photographer for the following reasons:
- You get a quality backlink (don’t worry if it is a follow or nofollow)
- You can get a potential client to visit your website since they clicked on the link or called you directly from the listing.
- Your competitors might not pay to be on these listings, which means you won’t have as much competition being here.
- You help give Google and Bing more context clues that you are a wedding photographer who serves an area. For example, suppose you are a wedding photographer in Albany, NY. In that case, getting a local directory that serves the upstate New York region will give search engines more context clues.
On-Page Wedding Photographer SEO
My SEO strategy for wedding photographers emphasizes ranking the website’s content. For instance, I sometimes receive a Free SEO Audit request from a photographer who wants to see where they are ranking around their city. From my experience, I’ve seen sites that list that they do “destination wedding photography” but don’t have that as their own page. With that not being their own page, they won’t be able to rank for that keyword phrase in Google and Bing. When I encounter that, I will build a new page on their website to optimize for that target term.
Below are things that I do via on-page SEO
- Updating the content on the site with relevant keywords and specific keywords
- Building out new pages for target keywords
- Writing new title tags and meta name descriptions
- Performing keyword research on an ongoing basis
- Optimizing the images via ALT tags / resizing them to make the page load faster (better user experience)
- Interlinking content
- Optimizing the headings on the page
Every local client that I have has always needed something different. I don’t offer any wedding photography package. Instead, I offer a flat rate of $1.4k per month to have my work on growing your website traffic and leads to your business.
For example, if you need new pages built to improve your website’s SEO rankings, I will focus on that. If I gave you a package and you chose a plan that would not cover that, you wouldn’t get the results you are looking for. To simplify the entire process, I offer a flat rate to have me work on the website and offer you the ability to cancel the agreement at any time with a 30-day notice.
What Does the Cost Include Per Month?
- Access to Greg on Slack or Microsoft Teams to ask any questions. My typical response time is less than an hour.
- Greg handles all website optimizations on your behalf.
- That includes making title tags, meta name descriptions, ALT tags, header tags, internal linking, and more optimizations.
- TM Blast handles any one-off technical optimization on the site.
- A monthly SEO report that details your numbers, what I did, and much more.
One 30-minute call each month if you choose
The SEO Tools I Use for Wedding Photography Clients
- LocalFalcon: (That is the heat map in the video above. I use this tool for all of my clients and on TM Blast. It helps with NAP (name, address, phone number).
- Google Business Profile: (This is the primary SEO tool I use to optimize local websites)
- Bing Places for Business: (Bing can make up ~10% of your digital marketing traffic, so it is best not to ignore)
- Apple Business: (Apple can help with anyone searching in Apple Maps for your service)
- SEMRush: (This is how I track your keyword rankings, perform keyword research, track competitors, and run weekly health audits of your website)
- Google Analytics: (I can see the number of visits to your website, goals that occur, and much more)
- Google Search Console: (I can see the keywords that trigger clicks to your website, any technical issues present, and much more)
- Bing Webmaster Tools: (I can see how Bing crawls your website and ensures there are no issues)
- Clearscope: (I use this tool to optimize the content on the website)
What Others Have to Say about My SEO Company
Don’t just take my word for what I can do. See what others have to say about TM Blast! As a note, I, Greg Kristan, do all SEO work. No junior member or intern is working on your account.
Wedding Photography SEO – Looking to Start?
You’ve come to the right place if you are looking for more potential clients from increased organic traffic. You can fill out the form below to get started!
I will likely perform a Free SEO Audit of your website to give you a baseline of your metrics. The Free SEO Audit also gives me an idea of what I will be working on for your account if you become a client of mine.
Additional Services that I Provide
Greg Kristan, owner of TM Blast, LLC and The Stadium Reviews, LLC, has over 10+ years of SEO experience. He was also the SEO Manager at edX and was a contractor for Microsoft Bing Ads. Today, he works on optimizing local, national, and international company websites to rank higher in search engines through SEO. Finally, Greg has been featured on podcasts about his search experience and regularly updates his YouTube channel sharing digital marketing tips. Do you want to reach out to me about SEO help? If so, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 877-425-2141