As an attorney, you represent your clients in court and give them legal advice. You also have other responsibilities, like drafting legal documents and providing legal counsel, which means potential clients may be searching for these legal services in their city to help them. If your law firm website does not rank at the top of Google and Bing for these services, users will not find you when searching their local search results for an attorney. This is where local SEO for attorneys comes in as a service from TM Blast.
Below is the SEO strategy I, Greg Kristan, focus on to improve the visibility for attorneys around their local area.
- Google My Business Listing (Google Business Profile) Optimization
- Bing Places for Business Optimization
- Apple Business Connect
- Getting listed on relevant business directories in your town or city to increase referral traffic. If you are a local business, you will benefit from being featured on these sites, as your target audience will be the ones visiting these websites who live in your geographic area.
- Improving your organic rankings in and around your location for your keywords on your website
- And more!
Local SEO for Attorneys – How I Would Rank for Personal Injury Attorney
I share how I would help rank a New York City attorney for the term personal injury attorney. There is a lot of competition for this phrase in NYC, which means you have to optimize your website and Google My Business account well to rank for it. I would rank this website for this term by responding to reviews, creating updates, featuring products, and splitting out their services as their own pages on their website. I would also embed their Google My Business map directly into their footer to boost the website’s NAP (name, address, and phone number) signals.
Local SEO Success for a Client – Short Video
Google My Business Listing Optimization for an Attorney
Local Falcon is my go-to tool for optimizing my clients’ GBP (Google Business Profile). As an attorney, you want your services seen by people searching for what you provide in a given area. For example, if you are in New York City, you might only need to rank in a one-mile radius in Manhattan to see a dramatic increase in phone calls to your business if you were ranking at the top for “attorney near me.”
Meanwhile, if you were in Albany, NY, you would benefit from a 30-mile radius since your potential clients can be in Schenectady, Clifton Park, and Saratoga Springs. It all comes down to location, but getting seen by more people searching for your products is possible with Google My Business Optimization.
Above is a screenshot of a Free SEO Audit I did for an attorney in New York City. Green dots represent that they rank at the top for the term “personal injury attorney,” while orange and red show they are not as competitive. Ideally, you want more green dots on the map since that means more chances to get a prospective client to call your practice.
Bing Place for Business for Attorneys
Bing Place for Business is part of my law firm’s local SEO strategy. Bing can make up 5-15% of the monthly SEO traffic for a law firm, so overlooking it can be a mistake. Bing’s market share in the United States, according to GS Stat Counter in November 2023, makes up about 10% when you factor in Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, and AOL. When you only look at desktop search engine market share, Bing holds closer to 20% market share, which is why there is an opportunity to focus on this for your local SEO efforts. Above is an example of Bing Map Pack listings that occur when a local search occurs on their search engine.
For Bing Places for Business, I will sync whatever changes I make in Google into Bing. Getting into the local pack for Bing is the same as Google; it just occurs on a Bing search instead. Below are some ways I optimize the Bing Places for Business account.
- Upload new images
- Incorporate their social media icons into the Bing knowledge panel
- Ensure that their keywords are shown in the categories
Apple Business Connect
Apple Maps is the default mapping service on iPhones and Safari, so there are times when searchers will see Apple Map results when looking up local listings for attorneys. Apple Business Connect can get your law firm listed on Apple Maps. Below are some of the ways I optimize that service.
- Upload new images
- Add new offers
- Ensure we are linking out to social media platforms
Relevant Local Directories
As a law firm, you want to be on online directories (legal directories) for several reasons.
- You get a quality backlink (link building), which helps with your local search engine optimization plan.
- You can get a potential client to visit your website since they clicked on the link or called you directly from the listing. Some of these local directories rank well via local SEO, so you want to get some of that high-quality traffic to your website.
- Your competitors might not pay to be on these listings, which means you won’t have as much competition being here.
- You help give Google and Bing more context clues that you are an attorney who serves an area.
On-Page Attorney SEO
While Google Maps, Bing Maps, and Apple Maps are part of the local SEO service, they are not the only things I focus on. Traditional website SEO is part of my service to rank for local keywords.
Below are things that I do via on-page SEO to help improve the rankings for an attorney
- Updating the content on the site with relevant keywords and specific keywords
- Building out new pages for target keywords
- Writing new title tags and meta name descriptions
- Performing keyword research on an ongoing basis
- Optimizing the images via ALT tags / resizing them to make the page load faster (better user experience)
- Interlinking content
- Optimizing the headings on the page
Every local client that I have has always needed something different. I don’t offer any package pricing plan. Instead, I offer a flat rate of $1.4k per month to have my work on growing your website traffic and leads to your business. The client can cancel the agreement for any reason with a 30-day notice. There are no long-term contracts to work with me.
What Does the Cost Include Per Month?
- Access to Greg on Slack or Microsoft Teams to ask any questions. My typical response time is less than an hour.
- Greg handles all website optimizations on your behalf.
- That includes making title tags, meta name descriptions, ALT tags, header tags, internal linking, and more optimizations.
- TM Blast handles any one-off technical optimization on the site.
- A monthly SEO report that details your numbers, what I did, and much more.
- One 30-minute call each month if you choose
The SEO Tools I Use for Attorney Clients
- LocalFalcon: (That is the heat map in the video above. I use this tool for all of my clients and on TM Blast. It helps with NAP (name, address, phone number).
- Google Business Profile: (This is the primary SEO tool I use to optimize local websites)
- Bing Places for Business: (Bing can make up ~10% of your digital marketing traffic, so it is best not to ignore)
- Apple Business: (Apple can help with anyone searching in Apple Maps for your service)
- SEMRush: (This is how I track your keyword local SEO rankings, perform keyword research, track competitors, and run weekly health audits of your website)
- Google Analytics: (I can see the number of visits to your website, goals that occur, and much more)
- Google Search Console: (I can see the keywords that trigger clicks to your website, any technical issues present, and much more)
- Bing Webmaster Tools: (I can see how Bing crawls your website and ensures there are no issues)
- Clearscope: (I use this tool to optimize the content on the website)
What Others Have to Say about My SEO Company
Don’t just take my word for what I can do. See what others have to say about TM Blast! As a note, I, Greg Kristan, do all SEO work. No junior member or intern is working on your account.
Looking to Start?
You’ve come to the right place if you want more new clients from increased organic traffic. You can fill out the form below to get started!
I will likely perform a Free SEO Audit of your website to give you a baseline of your metrics. The Free SEO Audit also gives me an idea of what I will be working on for your account if you become a client of mine.
Additional Services that I Provide
Greg Kristan, owner of TM Blast, LLC and The Stadium Reviews, LLC, has over 10+ years of SEO experience. He was also the SEO Manager at edX and was a contractor for Microsoft Bing Ads. Today, he works on optimizing local, national, and international company websites to rank higher in search engines through SEO. Finally, Greg has been featured on podcasts about his search experience and regularly updates his YouTube channel sharing digital marketing tips. Do you want to reach out to me about SEO help? If so, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 877-425-2141